December 12, 2009

Butternut Squash Ravioli

This recipe is kind of thrown together out of various things that I found online...


First, roast your butternut squash
1) preheat oven to 400 degrees
2) cut squash into wedges and spoon away the seeds and pulp
3) sprinkle wedges with cinnamon and cumin  - light dusting of each.  I normally do the cinnamon or nutmeg when I roast squash, and I got the cumin idea from a mexican restaurant in Des Moines that had cumin sweet potatoes as a side dish.  I about died and went to heaven, and ever since then I've been adding the cumin to my squashes.
4) mix together 1/8 cup of orange juice and 1/8 cup maple syrup (I used our regular pancake syrup) and drizzle over the top (other recipes I saw called for things like all spice, sage, brown sugar and apple juice.. whatever floats your boat)
5) cover with tinfoil and bake for 45-55 minutes until tender.


 While the squash is cooling - prepare your sauce:
1) melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter and sautee very gently 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
2) if I had thought about doing this anytime before... oh, 5:30 pm tonight, I might have purchased some onion or shallots to sautee also.



Throw into a blender:
1) about three cups of your roasted squash (I didn't exactly measure... it was about a wedge and a half. I'm saving the rest to eat later in the week, possibly with risotto)
2) add 1/2 cup of half and half, salt and pepper to taste.
3) puree... and 1/8-1/4 cup of water to get it to the right texture



Mix all of the above:
1) I added the pureed mixture into my saucepan with the garlic and butter on low and added some nutmeg and additional salt and pepper to taste.




Serve!
1) the rest was really really easy.  I took frozen beef ravioli from the fridge, threw them into a pot of boiling water for about 3 minutes and all i had to do was top them with my delicious homemade sauce.  My husband of course got regular old spaghetti sauce on his because he's boring. =)
2) I also topped it with a bit more nutmeg. Just for some pizzaz.

No comments:

Post a Comment