September 18, 2008

routine and roots

I'm working on routine in my life right now (yes, I know I've said it time and time again... but hey, what can I say, I'm a work in progress). So far this week, I've stayed fairly on target with my plans - focusing on two particular goals: exercise and spiritual centering.

For exercise, I run/walk on a nearby trail. I think the whole course, from doorstep to doorstep is a little over 3 miles, and I spend about 10 minutes of it running. I went Monday morning and again this morning... if I can do 3-4x a week, I'll be happy.

For centering, I'm working on quieting my spirit before I begin work each time I'm in the office. I have three candles next to a chair that I light and I pick up my handheld labryinth and work through it. When I get to the middle I say 6 prayers: for myself, for my family, for my church, for the church, for the nation and for the world... and then I pray my way out asking guidance for my work this day and with the Lord's prayer. It has felt amazing to set aside that time for myself! I really do feel like my work is more productive and more on task to what God wants me to do with the day than it has been before.

In the midst of that re-focusing of my time and energy, I'm thinking back to what I wanted to do and how I wanted to incarnate postmodern/missional views of church into this congregation and my life. One of those was through setting down roots - and I'm excited this week about going the homecoming football game and also the gardening that I did to weed and get things ready for fall in my flower bed. There is still a lot of work that is left to be done there. Both for me are about roots - about getting involved with the community, getting my hands dirty and meeting people where they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment