March 31, 2008

genuine and mutual love

1so, after playing world of warcraft some today I heard for the first time about "two girls one cup." and I, being the oblivious sort of person I am had no freaking idea of what everyone was talking about. My husband was too grossed out and refused to tell me, so I googled it and got lucky enough to find the wikipedia article, rather than the video (which I refuse to watch)... I strongly urge you to stay away after hearing the description.

Suffice it to say, I saw something about John Mayer making a spoof video of it on HIS blog... and for some reason was intrigued so I went over there and was stunned to read this, his latest entry. He shares how tired of he is of pretending to be unaffected by what everyone else thinks. And while I think that we all try to wear that armor and really do try to be above everyone else's opinions, we simply cannot.

This may seem really dumb. But I cut my hair this week. A whole 12 inches of it! And it feels really good to get all of the compliments and "wow that looks nice" and all of that stuff. It gives me more confidence. Because whether we want to admit it or not, what we say and do to the people around us DOES affect them. We are all interrelated. We laugh together, we cry together, and if someone is in a crappy mood or is rude, it affects us. If they spout judgment or are dripping with sarcasm, we feel it.

This week in the lectionary, our reading is from 1 Peter 1... and i'm thinking particularly of verse 22:
Now that you have purified your souls by your obedience to the truth so that you
have genuine mutual love, love one another deeply from the heart.

If we have that kind of genuine and mutual love - if we are deeply honest and if we truly care, the we don't have to walk around with armor on all the time. We can be who we are, we can confront one another with a genuine honesty that comes from a sense of mutual accountability, rather than selfish desires and judgmentalism. I think we'd hurt each other a lot less if we actually lived this out.

I'm glad that somehow I got led to Mayer's post tonight. I'm really frustrated that I had to get there through "two girls one cup." I wish we were about more than that as a culture. as a community. as a people.

1 comment: